Smarthost Failover - WAS RE: [Mimedefang] SMTP mailertable question

Fox, Randy Randy_Fox at csgsystems.com
Wed Jan 7 11:25:47 EST 2004

I think there's a much simpler solution than messing with your sendmail
config.  Create MX records in DNS for your SMART_HOST or use a dedicated
DNS entry.  When sendmail queries for the address of SMART_HOST, it gets
the MX records as well as any A records (the A records are actually
optional in this scenario).  It will then deliver the message to one of
the MX record hosts, in the order specified by the precedence of each
record.

If you ever decide to add a third or forth host, simply add more MX
records, sendmail will immediately start using them as needed.

I've used this method for years.

Randy