Smarthost Failover - WAS RE: [Mimedefang] SMTP mailertable qu estion

Cormack, Ken kcormack at acs.roadway.com
Wed Jan 7 11:23:25 EST 2004

> For my SMART_HOST I use an MX record, that way I can prioritize the
servers.

> define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp:outgoing-sm')
>
> outgoing-sm             IN      MX      10 mailgw3.
> outgoing-sm             IN      MX      10 mailgw4.
> outgoing-sm             IN      MX      20 mailgw2.
> outgoing-sm             IN      MX      30 mailgw1.

Although this is probably the most elegant solution, it requires changes to
DNS that would potentially hork up an existing environment.  Here, for
instance, we run a "wildcard" MX record in our internal DNS.  To do what's
described above would require setting up a seperate DNS environment on the
internal mail relay, so that the creation of these smarthost MX
records/zones arent affecting the rest of the internal DNS environment.

Ken