[Mimedefang] How to trap this spam

Martin J. Dellwo dellwo at 3dp.com
Wed Jan 7 10:03:04 EST 2004

Bill Maidment wrote:

>> David F. Skoll wrote:
>>> If you are using greylisting, you must disable it for all mail
>>> relayed from any of your secondary MX hosts.  The reason becomes
>>> obvious with a little thought.
>
> Yes, that was what I concluded.
>
>>> You *can* use greylisting on the secondary MX hosts themselves if
>>>  they share the same greylisting database as the primary MX host,
>>>  but then you once again have a single point of failure (which
>>> secondary MX machines are supposed to eliminate.)
>
> Unfortunately we are using our ISP as secondary (penny-pinching PHB)
> so we can't control that path.

I have a similar situation, and our ISP is a secondary for good
reason--no good for me to house the secondaries if our connection to the
ISP goes down!  Anyway, I would guess from the above conversation that
doing greylisting is pointless for me?  I tried it briefly, and found
that there was no impact on spam, many things come in through the
secondary, and the ISP reported that unusually high volumes of mail were
queuing on the secondary.  Is there a benefit to greylisting in any
situation where secondary MX machines are used?
--
Martin J. Dellwo
(610) 458-5264 x6512
mdellwo at prdus.jnj.com / dellwo at 3dp.com