[Mimedefang] Problems getting started

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Mon Jan 5 09:15:05 EST 2004

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 01/04/2004 11:49:56
PM:

> hi all,
>
> i'm completely new at this mail filter trickery, so please bear
> with me.  we've got a production mail server, running RH8, that
> i've tried twice now to install the combo sendmail+mimedefang+SA
> on.  the HOWTO i've been following is here:
>
>    http://www.rudolphtire.com/mimedefang-howto/
>
> i can only attempt to do the switch late at night or on weekends
> after 5, due ot the production nature.  i've got a nice little
> snapshot of the existing config that i can revert to with a
> quick "cp -r ~/mail-backup/* /" ... yes, we should have a backup
> system to test on, but we don't (insert political clauses here).

[snip]

I was recently in your shoes myself.  I was using a seperate mahine to run
my filtering on, and sendmail was my biggest hurdle!  I had it working on
a test domain, then added the filtering.  That all worked, so I pointed my
real domain's MX through that box and all hell broke loose!  Everything
started bouncing.  I had missed somehting in configuring sendmail.

If you can swing it with the person maintaining your DNS, have them set up
a testdom.gatech.edu pointing to a test box for you to test with.  Then
you don't have to burn the mignight oil until you have a handle on what
you need to do.

In my limited experience, I'd look at the sendmail config files.  There
probably should not be any difference between the production version and
the one for filtering except the milter information in sendmail.mc/cf.

I'd offer more words of wisdom, but my experience is with trying to get
the filter box to relay to another mail server.

Good luck!