[Mimedefang] 12,000 /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mdefang-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx directories in 7 days

postmaster at mc.duke.edu postmaster at mc.duke.edu
Fri Feb 6 09:22:36 EST 2004

Thanks for the reply David.

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 02/05/2004 20:28:30:

> On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 james.madill at duke.edu wrote:
>
> > When I took a look in the /var/spool/MIMEDefang directory, I was
> > quite surprised to see over 12,000 directories with timestamps
> > spanning the previous 7 days.
>
> > It would appear that they weren't deleted because the directory
> > (still) contained contents.
>
> That's odd; recent versions of MIMEDefang are usually good about cleaning
> up, even under heavy load.
>
> Any directories older than about an hour are dead anyway; you can run this
> from cron periodically to clean up:
>
> find /var/spool/MIMEDefang -name 'mdefang-*' -type d -mtime +1 | xargs rm -r

Yes, I knew this was a band-aid solution.  Are there any command line swtiches for MIMEDefang that might be thrown to shed more light on the cause?  Output info to a debugging file perhaps?  I'd rather like to squash the cause rather than treat the symptom.

As you pointed out above, perhaps the rm -r command could be used instead of rmdir within MIMEDefang.  Then the directory structure wouldn't have to be recursively removed to complete cleanup.  The only reason I could think of not doing this is because the directory was to be purposely left in place as a trail, in the event of some kind of an error, like what I have been experiencing.

> > Oh, by the way,... Why doesn't the mailing list take advantage of
> > the section in MIMEDefang to strip out the html sections of MIME
> > messages?
>
> It's a conspiracy to get people not to use HTML mail...

I have to say that it is here to stay, rich text messages, that is.

> Regards,
>
> David.

-- James

   o      _____            |James Madill         | |Duke U. Health Sys|
>.][__n_n_| D[  ====|____  |james.madill at duke.edu| |  (919) 286-6384  |
_/oo  O-O-O  `  oo     oo  'o^o^o           o^o^o` 'o^o            o^o`