[Mimedefang] Greylisting problem with the default confTO_COMMAND

EKB ekbond at gnat.net
Fri Feb 27 13:27:26 EST 2004

My intent is not to start a protracted argument over this but:

The way I read RFC 1123, assuming you understand the implications of
changing the sendmail timeout values and you are doing so for a valid
reason, you are NOT in violation of the RFC to make those changes.

/-------------From RFC 1123--------------/
Based on extensive experience with busy mail-relay hosts, the minimum
per-command timeout values SHOULD be as follows:

         oInitial 220 Message: 5 minutes
         oMAIL Command: 5 minutes
         oRCPT Command: 5 minutes
         oDATA Initiation: 2 minutes
         oData Block: 3 minutes
         oDATA Termination: 10 minutes.

A receiver-SMTP SHOULD have a timeout of at least 5 minutes while it is
awaiting the next command from the sender.A

        *    "SHOULD"
This word or the adjective "RECOMMENDED" means that there may exist valid
reasons in particular circumstances to ignore this item, but the full
implications should be understood and the case carefully weighed before
choosing a different course.

- -- EKB

Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware.