[Mimedefang] Performance parameters

Steve Moore mooresm at muohio.edu
Fri Feb 27 10:38:14 EST 2004

I am trying to plan for MD/SA deployment here.  I would like to get the
benefit of experienced MD/SA users' concerning performance.  Our site
processes up to 500,000 messages daily.  Our average message size is
30KB.  Our max mail message size is 100MB.  We have two AIX 5.1 machines
running commercial sendmail behind a Cisco local director for load
balancing.  One AIX machine is a dual processor with 4GB of memory and it
has cpu and i/o wait below 30%.  The other machine is a uniprocessor with
1GB of memory and it also has cpu and i/o wait below 30%.  Both machines
have separate spindles for /var/spool.  We do not do AV on these
machines.  That is accomplished at another layer.  Our plan is to tag and
pass all mail along to the client. The only content analysis we are
interested in at the moment is spam probability.

My questions are as follows.
1) Is it possible to process the current workload with the two machines
listed above once MD/SA is added to the mix?

2) Should I expect a 20% scan time improvement by adding RAMdisk?

How would you rank the performance cost of each of the checks below?  How
would you rank the benefit of each of the checks in calculating spam
probability?

1) SA rbl checks.
2) SA Bayesian analysis.
3) SA Razor checks.
4) SA dns availability.

I know I am asking for a lot but hopefully others can benefit from your
wisdom.  Thanks in advance for any comments.

Steve Moore
Senior Software Coordinator
Miami University
113 B Hoyt Hall