[Mimedefang] Tracing/Debugging MIMEDefang

Peter A. Cole peteracole at bigpond.com
Fri Feb 27 05:48:39 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Sims" <michaels at crye-leike.com>
To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 1:24 AM
Subject: RE: [Mimedefang] Tracing/Debugging MIMEDefang

> Yes, although I would suggest something like this:
>
> action_add_header('X-Debug-Msg', "Deleting recipient $recip");
>
> Remember when using this trick that messages other than the ones you are
> sending as tests might get these headers inserted.  I like to use X
headers
> like 'X-Debug-Msg' in order to play nice with other MTA's that my message
> might pass through.  They should ignore any X header that they don't
> recognize, but a header like "Deleting recipient:" might cause issues.

You're dead right there, as soon as I put it in I took it out, as the
mimedefang.pl -test I did on the filter spat the dummy on that line.
Instead, I just used the md_syslog entries instead which I found just as
helpful.

> You can still do all of the normal MD checks (including virus checks)
while
> skipping just the SpamAssassin scan.  That's what I do...

I'll have a look into this, although at the moment I'm pretty happy. If
anything I'm sending legitimately is getting canned I'll have to put
something like this in place.

I always configure my email as plain text, or at least as much as I can with
Outlook Express anyway, so this shouldn't be an issue hopefully. I'm just in
the process of setting up my Linux workstation (also Debian Sarge of
course!), so Sylpheed will ensure only plain text ever gets sent out.