[Mimedefang] Greylisting problem with the default confTO_COMMAND

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Thu Feb 26 19:35:21 EST 2004

I use these timeouts on a 5k a day mail server.
Got original timeouts from list that. Works for me.
Your mileage may vary.
Before I had timeouts modified I had too many slaves just hanging around
on my system.

Violates RFC. I have never had any complainst in the 8 months or so I have
been using it.

#max file size accepted is 50m

dnl TIMEOUTS (MANY OF THESE)...
define(`confTO_INITIAL', `10s')
define(`confTO_CONNECT', `30s')
define(`confTO_ICONNECT', `8s')
dnl set next 4 to 1m for more conservative settings
define(`confTO_HELO', `30s')
define(`confTO_MAIL', `30s')
define(`confTO_RCPT', `30s')
define(`confTO_DATAINIT', `30s')
define(`confTO_DATABLOCK', `1m')
define(`confTO_DATAFINAL', `3m')
define(`confTO_RESET', `1m')
define(`confTO_QUIT', `1m')
define(`confTO_MISC', `1m')
define(`confTO_COMMAND', `1m')
dnl #define(`confTO_IDENT', `1m')
define(`confTO_IDENT', `1s')
define(`confTO_FILEOPEN', `1m')
define(`confTO_CONTROL', `1m')
define(`confTO_HOSTSTATUS', `3m')
dnl DOS stuff
define(`confCONNECTION_RATE_THROTTLE', `8')
define(`confTO_IDENT', `0')dnl

dnl security stuff
dnl WARNING
dnl this is a mail relay so sendmail can ONLY WRITE TO /var
define(`confSAFE_FILE_ENV',`/var')dnl
define(`confMAX_HEADERS_LENGTH', `16384')
define(`confMAX_MIME_HEADER_LENGTH', `256/128')
define(`confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN', `12')
dnl 50meg max size
define(`confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE', `50485760')dnl

Cahya Wirawan said:
> Hi,
> I have implemented greylisting in filter_begin, it works great,
> but there is still an issue because there are some spam software
> that keep the connection open after they get temporary failure message.
> The sendmail default timeout to wait a command (confTO_COMMAND) is
> 1 hour, so if I set the max mimedefang processes and sendmail children
> to 50 (I think this is not too small for 30k mails/day), the mail relay
> will be often out of processes and can't accept any new mail because

Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering
Montana State University-Bozeman,Montana