[Mimedefang] Tracing/Debugging MIMEDefang

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Thu Feb 26 10:24:20 EST 2004

Peter A. Cole wrote:
> [...]

Yes, although I would suggest something like this:

action_add_header('X-Debug-Msg', "Deleting recipient $recip");

Remember when using this trick that messages other than the ones you are
sending as tests might get these headers inserted.  I like to use X headers
like 'X-Debug-Msg' in order to play nice with other MTA's that my message
might pass through.  They should ignore any X header that they don't
recognize, but a header like "Deleting recipient:" might cause issues.

>>> And, to add to the confusion, if I send a test spam message from one
>>> of my local accounts to another local account, it gets delivered
>>> twice to my spamdrop (once on the way out to my ISP's smarthost and
>>> once when fetchmail retrieves it) and once to the original
>>> recipient.
>>
>> You may want to consider skipping the spam assassin check (and
>> adding to the spamdrop) on messages relayed from trusted hosts.
>> There are lots of examples in the list archives on how to do this.
>
> I wasn't doing this to cover the small chance of one of my Windows
> boxes getting infected or something to ensure nothing goes out of my
> network as well as coming in.

You can still do all of the normal MD checks (including virus checks) while
skipping just the SpamAssassin scan.  That's what I do...

> Well I've now been through your tips and I believe it is working. Just
> waiting on some external spam to test  :-)
[...]
> Thanks again for all your help, (and same thanks to you Rob)

No problem...

Michael Sims
Project Analyst - Information Technology
Crye-Leike Realtors
Office: (901)758-5648  Pager: (901)769-3722