[Mimedefang] How to best populate a spamtrap?

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Thu Feb 26 08:44:57 EST 2004

I would say that anything other than simply letting the spam come to you is
a bad idea and would risk tainting your results.  Things you can do to
increase the spam coming in that I can think of:

Use the email address on the public whois data.

Capture all the firstname at domain.com emails since a lot of dictionary
attacks work that way.

Put the spam trap up on a fairly popular website.

Post using the email address to public mailing lists and usenet.

OOh, and here is an important one.  Make your MX record  mail.domain.com.  A
lot of spammers have picked up on that convention and email to it with only
A records defined (i.e. sales at mail.domain.com).

That's all I can think of at the moment.

KAM