[Mimedefang] Tracing/Debugging MIMEDefang

Peter A. Cole peteracole at bigpond.com
Thu Feb 26 05:32:33 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Sims" <michaels at crye-leike.com>
To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 1:15 AM
Subject: RE: [Mimedefang] Tracing/Debugging MIMEDefang

> If I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with my filter, I'll do the
> following:
>
> (1) After altering the filter, I will tail /var/log/maillog just to make
> sure that my filter isn't printing anything to STDERR (happens most
> frequently with me with typos).
> (2) I'll then add calls to md_syslog to print debug information in my
> Mimedefang log file.
> (3) Sometimes I'll temporarily use action_add_header() to add debug
> information directly into the headers of a message I'm using as a test.
>
> I looked at your filter.  You need to change this:
>
> foreach $recip (@recipients) {
>
> to this:
>
> foreach $recip (@Recipients) {
>
> Perl variables are case sensitive.  In your filter, @recipients is not
> defined so the foreach loop will never be entered.
>
> You may want to consider skipping the spam assassin check (and adding to
the
> spamdrop) on messages relayed from trusted hosts.  There are lots of
> examples in the list archives on how to do this.
>
> HTH...

> Michael Sims
> Project Analyst - Information Technology
> Crye-Leike Realtors
> Office: (901)758-5648  Pager: (901)769-3722

Hi again Michael,

Well I've now been through your tips and I believe it is working. Just
waiting on some external spam to test  :-)

I've run my own tests through it from internally, and the spam gets sent to
my maildrop only, no other mailbox which is excellent.

It appears that when I first did this this afternoon, I must'nt have run
mimedefang reread as after putting in some logging and running that, it
worked.

Thanks again for all your help, (and same thanks to you Rob)

Pete