[Mimedefang] OT:Sendmail qtool.pl question

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Wed Feb 25 19:17:04 EST 2004

At 01:06 PM 2/25/2004, Lucas Albers wrote:
>There is the possiblity that a connection timed out on a connect out to
>another mail server, in which case you would have the sender as <> but the
>message could still potentially be deliverable.

But wouldn't these generally be retried at regular intervals?  It would
only be a problem if the other mail server stayed down longer than the two
days or whatever threshold you set.

>Therefore I want to explicity only dump messages that have been rejected
>by another mail server with a 5xx error codes.

This is a gateway for other mail servers, correct?  So what you've got are
bounce notices generated locally in response to rejected connections to the
"real" mail servers.

AFAIK, at this point sendmail only knows that these messages are DSNs.  The
actual reject code (generated by the other server) only appears in the
message body.

So what you need to be able to do is look for "Diagnostic-Code  SMTP; 554
5.7.1" in the message body and match it with <> as the
sender.  Unfortunately, it looks like qtool acts only on the queue status
and headers.

It shouldn't be too hard to throw together a script that will do it, but it
looks like qtool alone won't be enough.

Kelson Vibber