[Mimedefang] Huge messages causing "try again later"

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Wed Feb 25 14:54:32 EST 2004

Paul Whittney wrote:
> I noticed you've got my "experimental code" for the novarg virus in
> there
[...]
> I have a sinking suspicion that it could be causing an additional
> delay
> if you have large zip files going past your system.
>
> Try taking that code out, and see if you have any problems.

Or just add a size check to that block of code, changing

if (lc($ext) =~ /zip/) {

if (lc($ext) =~ /zip/ && -s './INPUTMSG' <= 100*1024) {

MyDoom isn't going to be bigger than 30KB anyway...

> Also, you could put md_syslog lines in there, so you would see when
> that code started to execute, and when it ended, perhaps giving an
> indication on
> how long the filter worked on the file.

An easier way to see how long the filter ran is to check the delay= equate
that sendmail logs on the same line with the recipient status.  For example:

Feb 18 10:55:47 mx sendmail[15980]: i1IGqapX015980: to=<user at example.com>,
delay=00:03:10, pri=4723633, stat=Please try again later

Michael Sims
Project Analyst - Information Technology
Crye-Leike Realtors
Office: (901)758-5648  Pager: (901)769-3722