[Mimedefang] Huge messages causing "try again later"

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Wed Feb 25 12:20:38 EST 2004

[quoting rearranged]
sysadmin at omsoft.com wrote:
> On 24 Feb 2004 at 18:47, Michael Sims wrote:
>> Have you customized your filter?  The example that comes with the
>> distribution only calls SpamAssassin if the message is 100KB or
>> less.  I would suggest that you verify that this hasn't been
>> changed.
>
> I have not changed that part of mimedefang-filter, it still does the
> check. Do you suggest that I add a similar check for all messages in
> filter_begin?

No.  MD should not have any problems with large messages unless your filter
is calling SpamAssassin on them or doing some sort of other intensive scan.
Personally I would never bypass MD on any message, because my filter does
critical things on both incoming and outgoing mail (like, for example,
discarding virus-generated spam with .pif attachments).  I suppose a large
message could cause a problem if your spool volume is on a slow drive, since
MD has to create a work directory and write the message to it, but if that
were the case I would think you would have issues constantly, with messages
of all sizes.  If you want to send me your filter off-list (or post a link
to it) I can take a quick look and see if anything jumps out...

Michael Sims
Project Analyst - Information Technology
Crye-Leike Realtors
Office: (901)758-5648  Pager: (901)769-3722