[Mimedefang] Replacing SpamAssassin with DSPAM

Andrew S. Johnson andy at asjohnson.com
Tue Feb 24 15:03:32 EST 2004

On Tuesday 24 February 2004 01:21 pm, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> >  I've spent lots of time playing with SA and various BL's, but I'm
> thinking it's at it's limits of effectiveness.
>
> NOTHING is or will be better than SpamAssassin because it is, at its core, a
> scoring system.  If someone invents a better method of checking spam, you
> simply install it as one more test for SA and weight the heck out of it.

Assuming you are right, how do I add a new check to SA using an external
program without a lot of programming effort or having to become an SA
guru?  RTFM works when TFM is organized and readable, so at least spare
me that.

> It's possible someone could develop a better scoring system based SPAM
> checker but with the lead time SA has had and the stability and following it
> has, it would be ludicrous to try and outseat a free, open-source piece of
> software such as SA.
>
> Regards,
> KAM

I'm not sure I agree with this argument.  The world is full of products and
companies that beat established and respected predecessors.  I'd much
rather still be using WordPerfect, but guess what B$ I have to use at work?

Andy Johnson