[Mimedefang] Replacing SpamAssassin with DSPAM

Andrew S. Johnson andy at asjohnson.com
Tue Feb 24 13:48:12 EST 2004

On Tuesday 24 February 2004 12:32 pm, Lucas Albers wrote:
> 1.) No spam filtering solution will catch all spam.
> Play with your SA rules or enable some blacklists.
> 2.) You should configure DSPAM as a plugin into SA.
> 3.) SA is better tested then DSPAM, imo.
> Run dspam as procmail script and see how well it works, running after
> mimedefang/sa then slowly move it into production usage after a few weeks
> at minimum.
> You can also run sa as a procmail script after mimedefang, that allows it
> to generate individual bayes dbase/awl per user.
> I use this method on one of my systems.
> Are we talking about just your inbox, or a mail server with lots of users?

A mail server with a few users (four), but I'm using sendmail on
Slackware 8.1.  I've spent lots of time playing with SA and various
BL's, but I'm thinking it's at it's limits of effectiveness.

I didn't think about having SA call DSPAM, so I'll have to look into
that.

Better tested doesn't necessarily mean better.  Windows is better
tested than Linux if you go by the number of users, but it sure ain't better.

Basically, I'm trying to avoid drastic changes to my mail system, since
it generally works OK.  So, the farther the changes get from sendmail,
theoretically changes should inflict less damage.

Thanks,

Andy Johnson