[Mimedefang] updated 2.39 packages for debian

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Mon Feb 23 13:03:29 EST 2004

The debian downstream maintainer has made 2.39 packages available for:
perl 5.61 via backports.org.
The packages will be on backports later this week.
Contact me if you want to qa the backports packages.

Christoph Martin also uploaded 2.39 debian packages for  perl 5.8 testing,
they are currently in unstable.
He added in a delay for restarts, as socket errors can occur on restarts
without any delay.
They include the 2.39 embedded perl.
You need to manually enable the embedded perl mode.
I have been using 2.39 for the past few days, and it is just as stable as
2.38....

The embedded perl version uses much less memory.
and 2.39 seems faster then 2.38.
I does seem to load up one more instance then min-slaves indicates.
My minslaves is set to 3,
MX_MINIMUM=3
and I see 4 multiplexor instances.

Another nice thing about 2.39 embedded is that running extra instances
that are have not actually been used, do not use any additional memory
other then the 1M for the multiplexor-master. It just shares memory until
it is actually called.
 8671 defang    11   0 32440  31M 19600 S     2.3  6.3   0:19
 8673 defang     9   0 31188  30M 20120 S     0.0  6.1   0:00
 8678 defang     9   0 29504  28M 29048 S     0.0  5.8   0:00
 8407 defang     9   0 29496  28M 29040 S     0.0  5.8   0:03
As you can see it is running 4 instances but the middle two are not using
any extra memory, because they have not done any work.

--
Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering