[Mimedefang] Incredible spam obfuscation

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Mon Feb 23 08:31:50 EST 2004

--On Friday, February 20, 2004 4:48 PM -0500 "Jon R. Kibler"
<Jon.Kibler at aset.com> wrote:

> "Cormack, Ken" wrote:
>
> <SNIP!>
>
>>         if ($badtag) {
>>             if ($io = $entity->open("w")) {
>>                 $io->print($bla);
>>                 $io->close;
>>             }
>>             if ($badtag) { $badtag .= " tag deactivated"; }
>>             md_graphdefang_log('modify',"$badtag");
>>             action_change_header("X-Warning",
>>                                  "$badtag by Columbia filter");
>>             action_rebuild();
>>         }
>>     }
>
> <SNIP!>
>
> OK, I'm not a Perl programmer... but please explain to me why if you
> already have determined that this is a badtag, why check it a second
> time in the statement:

You are correct.  The second 'if' is not needed.  The reason it
is there is that this was simplified from more complex code.  At
an earlier point, I set more than one variable, and so the first
'if' tested for any of them, and then inside of that there were
'if' statements for each one.  I'm sorry I didn't catch that.

Joe Brennan