[Mimedefang] Slightly OT Sendmail virtusertable/mailertable Q.

Rolf rolf at ses.tas.gov.au
Sun Feb 22 00:48:16 EST 2004

hello

Not Mimedefang specifically but I thought it worth asking.

I have configured my sendmail.mc to use the mailertable feature, the
virtusertable feature and since 8.10 (or is it 8.11) also the
virtuser_domain_file: VIRTUSER_DOMAIN_FILE(`/etc/mail/virtuser-domains')dnl
entry.

This allows the situation whereby both mailertable functions and
virtusertable functions can co-exist. Previously if the domain was in
local-host-names then mailertable would ignore it and that if it wasn't
then virtusertable would ignore it.

So I can forward mail on a domain basis using mailertable and also have an
entry respected in virtusertable if I place the domain that is in
virtusertable in the specified VIRTUSER_DOMAIN_FILE. As I understand it.

My question is in what order are these various settings processed?
And where in that sequence are entries in /etc/mail/aliases expanded?

The idea is that there are few users on this mail server, the mailertable
sending everything onwards. But I would like msgs to postmaster at ... and a
couple of others to be delivered to a local user. Virtusertable entry of
postmaster at ...	localusername
doesn't seem to be working. And I would like that localusername in one
instance to actually be an alias to several users elsewhere, and setting
that up is not clear.

Will be most appreciative of any help.

Thanks.

rolf.