[Mimedefang] minor upgrade of clamav, email not being scanned...

Lee Dilkie lee at dilkie.com
Thu Feb 19 21:30:28 EST 2004

> What FreeBSD port did you upgrade from?  You may want to identify that
> section and look at the FreeBSD port revision history, checking each
> of the changes that have happened since.  It should make for a nice
> checklist of things that have changed.
>
> http://www.freshports.org/security/clamav/

it was just from 0.65-6 to -7.

I've narrowed this down but I don't understand why...

- if I run clamd as user "mailnull" (the same user that mimedefang runs as),
it works.
- if I run clamd as user "clamav", with clamav in the mailnull group, it
doesn't work.

/var/spool/MIMEDefang and MD-Quarentine are owned by "mailnull" (group
"mailnull") but if I make the MIMEdefang directory group rw, then I get the
"unsafe socket" error reported by mimedefang. Don't know if that is related
but changing the clamd to run as "mailnull" works and I figured it needs
access to the /var/spool/MIMEdefang dir to scan files.

Is it a requirement that mimedefang/sendmail and clamd all run as the same
user?