[Mimedefang] Re: swatch script to email you when an error occurs.

Jeremy Mates jmates at sial.org
Wed Feb 18 13:45:29 EST 2004

* Ole Craig <olc at cs.umass.edu>
> I know this, and it's not quite what I was getting at. I'm perhaps
> guilty of excessive indirection in attempting to highlight that a
> script which attempts to
>
>       *send mail*
> when
>       *the mail server is malfunctioning*
>
> may have larger issues.

This can be avoided by using multiple notification methods, assuming the
methods do not use the same underlying protocols. That is, sending
notifications via e-mail and to a pager, assuming the pager alert does
not also go out over e-mail.

Additionally, I like to have utilities poke at a status page in the
event that notifications have been disabled, but the status page is
still working.