[Mimedefang] Too many open files

Paul Murphy pmurphy at ionixpharma.com
Tue Feb 17 13:35:37 EST 2004

> I am running  SUN 420s with 4 processors and 4GB and SUN 4500s with 8
> processors and 8GB, Solaris 8, sendmail or sendmail-swtich,
> and mimedefang
> 2.39 which calls spamassassin.
> When I set MAX_SLAVES above 60 I get this message:
>
> Feb 17 11:23:48 uusnwa0y mimedefang-multiplexor: [ID 778059 mail.info]
> Starting slave 59 (pid 21793) (60 running): About to perform scan
> Feb 17 11:23:48 uusnwa0y mimedefang-multiplexor: [ID 291197
> mail.error]
> Could not start slave 60: pipe failed: Too many open files

Sounds like a Solaris system limit - what is the output of "ulimit -a" in csh?

Since the multiplexor opens each of the slaves and maintains several file
descriptors (I assume stdin/stdout/stderr as a minimum) for each slave, plus
sockets and library files, I would guess that the default limit of 256
descriptors is being hit.  This can be changed to 1024 under csh using "limit
descriptors 1024", but to go above this you have to reconfigure the kernel.

See "man limit" for details of the names and sh/ksh equivs.

Best Wishes,

Paul.
Paul Murphy
Head of Informatics
Ionix Pharmaceuticals Ltd
418 Science Park, Cambridge, CB4 0PA

Tel. 01223 433741
Fax. 01223 433788

DISCLAIMER:
are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please contact
the sender or the Ionix IT Helpdesk on +44 (0) 1223 433741