[Mimedefang] on reading *.cf files

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Sat Feb 14 22:13:07 EST 2004

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Gerald wrote:

> I know mimedefang runs SpamAssassin within it sort of...here's my
> question:
>
> Does MD read $PREFIX/mimedefang/spamassassin/*.cf like SA does or does it
> only look for specific .cf files?

   If you don't supply a config file name when you call a SA function, it
looks only for specific files.  Look at this from mimedefang.pl.in:

    if (-r "@CONFDIR_EVAL@/spamassassin/sa-mimedefang.cf") {
                $config = "@CONFDIR_EVAL@/spamassassin/sa-mimedefang.cf";
            } elsif (-r "@CONFDIR_EVAL@/spamassassin/local.cf") {
                $config = "@CONFDIR_EVAL@/spamassassin/local.cf";
            } else {
                $config = "@CONFDIR_EVAL@/spamassassin.cf";
            }

(I didn't quote my mimedefang.pl, since it depends on the values you
supply when you do the build).  Whatever directory you tell MD your
SpamAssassin directory is, it will look for sa-mimedefang.cf or local.cf
and use the first one it finds, and if it doesn't find either of those it
will default to spamassassin.cf.  At least that's how I read the code.

> If that is the case, what would be the recommended way to include all of
> the other cfs? (add to mimedefang.pl to read *.cf || for i in *.cf cat $i
> >>readthisoneMD.cf? || something else?)

   I wouldn't do that, since you would have to change it every time you
upgrade MIMEDefang.  Why not, as part of your MD startup script, just
delete sa-mimedefang.cf, then concatenate all *.cf files into
sa-mimedefang.cf, then proceed with the startup.  That's the approach I
would take.

   HTH...

Jim McCullars
University of Alabama in Huntsville