[Mimedefang] resolving socket errors

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Fri Feb 13 16:19:47 EST 2004

I noticed in some situations you need to pause mimedefang on a restart, to
give the socket time to get cleared out.
Is their a way to test and see if the socket is correctly formed before
starting mimedefang?

Eg you have another switch on the restart switch that does not wait an
arbitrary amount of time between the stop and start, but waits the minimal
amount of time by detecting the correct creation of the sock, before
starting mimedefang up again.
Would it be good enough to detect that the file exists?

Example would be another option on restart like smart-restart, which does
thus:
stop mimedefang,
pause until socket is correctly destroyed,
then starts up mimedefang.
Would checking for the existence of the socket file be good enough?

My normal fix is to pause 3 seconds between restarts of mimedefang.

--
Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering