[Mimedefang] Aggressive mailers

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Fri Feb 13 12:15:55 EST 2004

Jonas Eckerman wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I've been thinking about getting my filter to blacklist (for a month or so) mailers that can't take no for an answer, but yesterday something happened that made me wanna check with others first.

For exactly the reason below, you don't want to do that!

> Yesterday a mailer went amok when trying to get a mail through to our server. It was tempfailed by the greylist as it should, but instead of waiting for awhile before trying again it retried 886 times in 10 minutes (after witch it was let though by the greylist).

What you describe is not uncommon. I have seen this type of behavior exhibited even by some of the major ISPs. AOL is really famous for it, but not to the extent you describe. Sometimes they will have an MTA whose hostname will not resolve and we tempfail the message. They will try again about every 10 or 15 seconds until either their hostname resolves and we accept the message, or about 10 or 15 minutes goes by and they stop trying forever. Worse, they usually do not inform the sender that the message was not delivered.

Bottom line... bad idea.
--
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer