[Mimedefang] ClamAV and related issues running under MD. was: Re: Mimedefangtimeout

Rob rob_macgregor at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 13 02:12:47 EST 2004

AFAIK AMAVISD extracts and decodes the email, splitting it into it's
separate parts, so that you end up with a sub-directory with all the various
parts of the email, decoded, in it.  The theory being that you only have to
do that once, rather than each virus scanner doing it.

I also am in the process of replacing my AMAVIS installs with MD, though
this does make me think that, for the time being, I may not want to actually
finish that process.  I think I'll leave an AMAVIS install in the loop for
the time being :(

> I guess the bottom line issue is why does running ClamAV
> under AMaViSD-new catch things that MD
> does not, and should this be considered a MD problem, a
> ClamAV problem, or both?

Personally, I'd say it's a bit of both.  Partly it's a bad case of blinkers
on behalf of the ClamAV team.  However it would be nice if MD didn't make
any assumptions about the capability of any virus scanner and did the same
as AMAVIS does - extract and decode the email so that the virus scanner
software has as little to do as possible.

--
Rob