[Mimedefang] file extension regex bug

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Feb 12 23:16:11 EST 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Lucas Albers wrote:

> I noticed a listed bug report against the debian package for the regular
> expression for file name matching in mimedefang.
> not sure if this applies to 2.39, but it appeared to apply to 2.38.

That was not a bug.  It was an attempt to guard against malformed
MIME like this:

vs.

Who knows what various MUA's will do with this?  If you anchor the
regexp, you might cause unsafe behavior in one case.  If you don't
anchor the regexp, you might cause overly-paranoid behavior in the other.

However, the old behavior was so unpopular that as of 2.39, I anchored
the regexp.