[Mimedefang] Another Spammer trick to try to stomp out

Dave Williss dwilliss at microimages.com
Wed Feb 11 10:22:56 EST 2004

Another Spam trick I'm seeing lately is that they'll spell words using
accented versions of vowels.  For example, the "V" word might be
spelled with an "i" with a grave accent above it.  Or they'll use an "o"
with an umlaut above it or other such stuff.

So here's my idea, but I don't know if it will work.
In the MD filter, replace all occurrences of the accented vowels in
the subject with the unaccented versions.  There are a few continents
to deal with too, like a d with a slash through it, n with a tilde, etc.

Then (and this is the part I don't know if it would work) run it through
SpamAssassin.  If it falls below the spam threshold, restore the subject
line with a copy that you conveniently kept before mucking with it, just
in case the accents were legitimate.

But the real question is: Can your MD filter modify the subject in
such a way that SA will see the change? And if so, how?  I'm guessing
that the subject variable available to the filter is just a copy and that
SA will be passed the raw message with the original subject.

 -- Dave Williss
------
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
   for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup