[Mimedefang] Idea.. spell checking?

Steffen Kaiser skmimedefang at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Wed Feb 11 03:40:43 EST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Mark wrote:

> Here I am thinking out loud while running through my spam log, would a perl
> interface to a spell checker with some sort of weighting help kill more of
> this junk?
>
> i.e if there are 100 words in the body, and 75% are misspelled, add it to
> the score...
>
> comments, good idea, bad idea?

Well, the culture to spell correctly tends to be very low when it comes to
electronic mail - tons of abbreviations, acronyms, synthetic words, and
laziness.
Also consider mixed contents, like source code, different languages, URLs,
filenames, error messages ...
What about non-native speakers?

Do you have the SA rules installed posted in conjunction with this thread:
http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2004-January/019200.html
They are targetted at "gibberish".

Bye,

--