[Mimedefang] New way of obfuscating text

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Tue Feb 10 17:34:27 EST 2004

Kelson Vibber wrote:
> At 12:10 PM 2/10/2004, Michael Sims wrote:
>> /font-size:\s*1\s*(?:px)?\s*;/i
>>
>> I'm not enough of a CSS expert to know what would happen if I threw
>> "em" and "ex" in there, but I'm afraid that might create some false
>> positives...
>
> 1em would be pointless for obfuscation purposes, as it would be
> equivalent to no font-size setting at all.  (In CSS, an em is the
> current line height.)
>
> 1pt might be useful to look for, though.

Here's the pattern I finally settled on:

/font-size:\s*1\s*(?:p[xt])?\s*;/i

I've had it in place 3 hours and it's caught 17 messages, all junk.  That's
not a huge amount, but every little bit helps...

Michael Sims
Project Analyst - Information Technology
Crye-Leike Realtors
Office: (901)758-5648  Pager: (901)769-3722