[Mimedefang] Using ClamAV with default run-as-user settings

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Feb 10 16:39:43 EST 2004

The ClamAV RPM installs with the assumption that the services will run as
user "clamav". MD's RPM assumes that it will run as user "defang". Changing
ClamAV to comply requires changing ownership of a couple of directories and
editing the /etc/clamav.conf file.

It seems to me that it would be simpler if MD made its directories and
files group-readable (using group "defang"); one could then add clamav to
the defang group. The MD RPM could check for the existence of the clamav
user and add it to the defang group.

Is there a problem with setting things up that way that I'm not seeing? Any
pointers on where to tweak MD to test it?