[Mimedefang] memory leak?

Ron Peterson rpeterso at mtholyoke.edu
Tue Feb 10 09:01:55 EST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Jonas Eckerman wrote:

> Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:10:35 +0100
> From: Jonas Eckerman <jonas_lists at frukt.org>
> To: mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com
> Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] memory leak?
>
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:58:23 +0100 (MET), Andrzej Marecki wrote:
>
> >  I see exactly the same under Solaris! The problem apparently began
> >  when I shifted from MD 2.38 to 2.39.
>
> Just athought (apoligies if it's to obvious):

> You didn't tell 2.39 to use the embedded perl as well, did you? If your
> perl has memory leaks, I would expect that to create problems when using
> an embedded perl interpreter.

I did, originally.  Yesterday, I recompiled with
--disable-embedded-perl.  Things still look o.k. this morning.  Memory
useage has slowly crept up to full utilization, with a tiny bit of swap
being used.  But the load averages and CPU idle are just where we want
them.

I just put an --enable-embedded-perl version into operation.  Now wait
some more to see if anything happens.

I'm curious why embedding perl would exacerbate a perl memory leak.  I'm
not really understanding the mechanics of that.

Ron Peterson
Network & Systems Manager
Mt. Holyoke College
rpeterson at mtholyoke.edu