[Mimedefang] winmail.dat / ms-tnef extracting

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Tue Feb 10 08:39:28 EST 2004

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 02/09/2004 11:31:43
AM:
> hello
>
> some of e-mails we receive have attached
> a file "winmail.dat" and as we use lotus notes
> as central mail-hub, it isn't readable for
> the user.
>
> in dmz we run 2 solaris 9 boxes with
> sendmail and md. solaris 9 delivers a program
> called "tnef", which is the counterpart to
> "cpio" or "tar" for such ms-stuff.
>
> my idea is now, md could do exactly the job:
> - extract those winmail.dat
> - running  "tnef winmail.dat"
> - and attaching the resulting files, if available
> - delivering to lotus notes, already done now too
>
> my problem, i am not a perl programmer.
> but maybe there is somebody out there, who did already
> the job. searching at roaring penguin didn't
> bring any results for me.

As another Notes/Domino shop, we run into the same problem occasionally.
We just tell the user that the sender has a poorly configured M$ Exchange
system and that it is up to the sender to fix their problem.  Lotus
documents the problem at
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=swg21093342 with a link
to a M$ KB article at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q138053

Over the years, we learned a very useful phrase from Lotus support
documents:  "System operating as designed."