[Mimedefang] winmail.dat / ms-tnef extracting

hans hm04 hm04.yer at ma.yer.at
Mon Feb 9 11:31:43 EST 2004

hello

some of e-mails we receive have attached
a file "winmail.dat" and as we use lotus notes
as central mail-hub, it isn't readable for
the user.

in dmz we run 2 solaris 9 boxes with
sendmail and md. solaris 9 delivers a program
called "tnef", which is the counterpart to
"cpio" or "tar" for such ms-stuff.

my idea is now, md could do exactly the job:
- extract those winmail.dat
- running  "tnef winmail.dat"
- and attaching the resulting files, if available
- delivering to lotus notes, already done now too

my problem, i am not a perl programmer.
but maybe there is somebody out there, who did already
the job. searching at roaring penguin didn't
bring any results for me.

best regards
hans