[Mimedefang] 12,000 /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mdefang-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx directories in 7 days

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Feb 5 20:28:30 EST 2004

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 james.madill at duke.edu wrote:

> When I took a look in the /var/spool/MIMEDefang directory, I was
> quite surprised to see over 12,000 directories with timestamps
> spanning the previous 7 days.

> It would appear that they weren't deleted because the directory
> (still) contained contents.

That's odd; recent versions of MIMEDefang are usually good about cleaning
up, even under heavy load.

Any directories older than about an hour are dead anyway; you can run this
from cron periodically to clean up:

find /var/spool/MIMEDefang -name 'mdefang-*' -type d -mtime +1 | xargs rm -r

> Oh, by the way,... Why doesn't the mailing list take advantage of
> the section in MIMEDefang to strip out the html sections of MIME
> messages?

It's a conspiracy to get people not to use HTML mail...