[Mimedefang] Security note: Open port 25 on internal mail se rvers

Justin listuser at numbnuts.net
Thu Feb 5 00:47:50 EST 2004

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:

>   In fact, relay-test all your machines that listen on port 25 as a
> matter of habit.

I happened to relay check our entire campus once back when I first started
my previous job.  I found an entire lab of around a dozen SGI's that were
of course open relays (among other things), a Sparc 20 that was an open
relay (which the FBI later confiscated), and an AIX machine that was an
open relay.  I knew where the first two groups were but didn't know where
the second was.  After searching our switches SAT's for that MAC I was
surprised to see that it was in the office next to mine.  The office of my
super, the lead sysadm.  Whoops!  OT story but I still find it funny. :)

Justin