[Mimedefang] How to set up spamtrap that MIMEDefang/Spamassassin can use?

James jwhittington at excelorant.com
Wed Feb 4 09:29:33 EST 2004

In my continuing effort to fight spam that gets through my mx gateways
(MIMEDefang 2.31, Spamassassin 2.60, Sendmail 8.12), I had set up an
IMAP folder on the one of the gateways for several of our users to copy
SPAM that made it through.

I had set up a job that weekly runs sa-learn against the inbox, then
clears the box out.

I had been doing this for several weeks and it gave end users a warm
fuzzy feeling that they were helping fight the spam problem :<)..

I didn't feel like it (bayesian filtering) was making any difference, so
upon taking a second look at my sa-mimedefang.cf , I realized there was
nothing in there to enable the bayes checks.
I added the following to my sa-mimedefang.cf and now I believe it is
using the bayes check:

# Trying to enable bayesian filtering 02-03-2004
auto_learn 1
use_bayes 1
bayes_path /var/spool/MIMEDefang/bayes
basyes_file_mode 0666
#Enable AWL autowhitelisting
auto_whitelist_path /var/spool/MIMEDefang/auto_whitelist
auto_whitelist_file_mode        0666

My question is how do make sure my manually learned samples get included
into the database that MIMEDefang/Spamassassin use?

MIMEDefang runs as user defang so I'm thinking if I run sa-learn as that
user then it would get added to the same database.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

James Whittington
Systems Administrator

Excelorant, LLC
A TM Floyd Affiliate Company