[Mimedefang] Score additions using filter begin.

Rick Mallett rmallett at ccs.carleton.ca
Tue Feb 3 18:53:47 EST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Wayne wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  I am trying to add points and header information for domains that have no
> reverse DNS, are not  .com, .net, .org, .edu, .mil, .gov or have three sets
> of numbers with dashes in the RDNS. I know this sounds harsh but it works
> for a lot of our customers. My problem is that for some reason some emails
> slip through. They are usually .com.ru or sendmail says they may be forged.
> Here is my filter_begin and filter_end. Could someone look at it and tell me
> how to do it better.

I don't see why they would slip through, and I don't understand
or appreciate the rationale of increasing your spam score for relays
at educational institutions and businesses in foreign (non US) countries
where a domain name ending in a country code is the norm (eg. carleton.ca),
but that aside I would recommend that you simplify the first test as follows

  if ($RelayHostname !~ /\.(?:com|net|edu|org|gov|mil)$/ ||

and see if that eliminates the problem.

Also, I must say that I've never understood why people split the
code between filter_begin and filter_end, as you have, and as I've
seen several times in previous postings. I simply have
#
# Add a few points if the relay doesn't have rDNS
#
            if ($RelayHostname eq "[$RelayAddr]") {
                $hits += 1.5;
                $names .= $names ? ',NO_RDNS' : 'NO_RDNS';
            }

in filter_end and that seems to work for me.

- rick (finally remembered to delete those quoted lines)