[Mimedefang] no free slaves...

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Feb 3 18:50:48 EST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Charles Mount wrote:

> Does anyone have any wisdom on tuning an over worked server?

I assume you already have /var/spool/MIMEDefang mounted as a tmpfs volume?

SpamAssassin is the real hog, usually.  If you can avoid calling it, do
so.  Do cheap rejection tests first -- for example, if you drop Windoze
executables, do those tests first and then don't bother calling SpamAssassin.

Try enabling the embedded Perl interpreter; that might reduce memory
consumption per slave and let you run more slaves.

Allow request queuing in the multiplexor.  Avoid network-related tests
inside your MIMEDefang filter.

The hardware you mentioned seems pretty fast to me.  You should easily
be able to handle 2 million messages/day on four boxes like the ones
you have.  With 4GB of RAM, I would bump MX_MAXIMUM up to 100, and set
MX_MINIMUM to around 40.