[Mimedefang] Logging doesn't work with MIMEDefang 2.39 on Solaris 8

Charles Mount cmount at csc.com
Tue Feb 3 10:42:26 EST 2004

In /etc/syslog.conf add a line like --
local4.debug     /export2/log/mimedefang

Then in your mimedefang-filter add a line like --
md_graphdefang_log_enable('local4');

You will need to find the syslog daemon process ID with
ps -ef|grep syslogd
then do a kill -HUP on that process id.

I suggest that you then add to
/usr/lib/newsyslog
so that you get a new log file at the same time as /var/log/syslog etc.

                      A.Jones
                      @mvv.de                  To:      mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      mimedefang-bounc         Subject: [Mimedefang] Logging doesn't work with MIMEDefang
                      es                       2.39 on Solaris 8

                      02/02/2004 01:38
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to mimedefang

(Prefix: I tried sending this a couple of days ago, but it was bounced
because our Exchange server automatically added multipart/alternative HTML,
although i explicitly said that i only want text (ARGH!). In the meantime,
Don has sent in a similar problem report. I thought i would send this
anyway, at least to say that his problem is not isolated, and hopefully to
provide some more helpful information in finding and fixing the problem.)

Greetings everyone!
             I'm so sure it's my own stupid mistake somewhere, but i'm not
finding it. I have MIMEDefang 2.39 installed on Solaris 8 (with Perl 5.8.0
from www.sunfreeware.com -- the Perl that is installed with Solaris 8 has
been removed from the system). I also have Unix::Syslog 0.100 installed,
and
a small test program confirms that it is found and usable. My syslog.conf
on
the mail server includes a line "*.debug @else" where "else" is the name of
the syslog host. On Else, i have an entry in syslog.conf that says "*.debug
/home/log/alles". In other words, EVERYTHING gets dumped into
else:/home/log/alles. That works, too, and has for quite some time.
MIMEDefang is set up to use the MIMEDefang multiplexor and embedded Perl.
The whole setup has been tested and works.
             Now the problem: no matter what filter i use (including the
default
filter), none of the logging function calls in /etc/mail/mimedefang-filter
actually log anything. md_graphdefang_log_enable() is not commented out,
nor
are any calls to md_syslog(), md_graphdefang_log(), or any friends of same.
In else:/home/log/alles, i see lots of logging from the mail servers when i
test them, but all are from sendmail or mimedefang, and not from the
embedded Perl instance in mimedefang-multiplexor.
             I have searched the mailing list archives, Google, and looked
at the
FAQ. I tried what was listed at the end of the page for the question "How
do
I get md_log to log my messages properly" just for the heck of it, and
nothing is logged. I also tried setting $GraphDefangSyslogFacility
explicitly in /etc/mail/mimedefang-filter, just for giggles, but that
didn't
help, either. Can someone gives a clueless person a hint?

                                                 -&