[Mimedefang] $helo versus $ip

Matt Cramer mscramer at armstrong.com
Tue Feb 3 09:05:06 EST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Jack Olszewski wrote:

> In the archives of this list I can't find anything on possible checks
> of $helo versus $ip in filter_relay. What about finding the address of
> the host given as $helo, and matching it against $ip? Would it be safe
> to reject the message if they do not match? For instance (not tested
> in mimedefang-filter yet):

[...]

This will yield many false positives.  Here is what I do:

* Reject mail from outside relays who HELO as one of my domains.
* Reject mail from outside relays who HELO as one of my networks, with or
  without brackets (e.g. "204.74.20.1" and "[204.74.20.1]")
* Reject mail from outside relays who HELO as a string that isn't a domain
  or an address.  I just check for a "." in the string.  An amazing
  amount of ratware issues "HELO hjdjhdf" etc.  I've had a few false
  positives where the server was just doing "HELO servername" and in all
  cases the admin of the sending server has corrected it.

Matt

--
Matthew S. Cramer <mscramer at armstrong.com>          Office: 717-396-5032
Infrastructure Security Analyst                     Fax:    717-396-5590