[Mimedefang] OT: Advanced Email System

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Feb 3 08:12:20 EST 2004

Hi,

I want to end this thread; I will filter further postings.  Take it private
if you want to continue.

I will summarize my beliefs:

- Dmitry is free to keep his software proprietary if it does not violate any
  licenses of the open-source components he uses.

- Dmitry must distribute the GPL'd components under the GPL.

- Scrupulous care is needed to ensure the proprietary components can't be
  considered derivative works of the GPL'd components.

- On the one hand, Dmitry says the system won't compete with CanIt.  On the
  other, he says he doesn't want to open the source to protect CanIt.
  I have no strong feeling either way; as long as the licenses are obeyed,
  I'll take my chances on another competitor.  There are only about a
  bazillion competitors in this space anyway. :-)

Good luck,