[Mimedefang] OT: Advanced Email System

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Feb 3 04:50:18 EST 2004

Am Di, den 03.02.2004 schrieb dimon at intellinetinc.com um 04:57:

[ snip ]

> I think you understood my idea wrong. I don't care about licenses. I don't want
> to sell code I've developed. What I want is to find help in developing a good
> software that will be useful for Mail System Administrators. The only reason I
> don't want to make it opensource for anyone is CanIT and MIMEDefang!!!
>
> I don't want to argue about licenses any more, because that's not my goal to
> find "proper license" for what I'm doing. My goal is to find people who'll find
> my project useful and will contribute to the development.
>
> Hope this time you'll understand it right,
> Dmitry

Do you really think anyone will join your project as a
developer/contributor as you don't care for licenses in any way? To know
what will be done with your own code is an interesting point for
everyone involved in projects, already from beginning on. To be more
precise what I mean: a license does not only mean what is forbidden but
too what is permitted and what you can do with the product and the code!
So if you use GPL software in your product in any form you will have to
care for what the GPL instructs you to do.

Dmitry, I respect your efforts to develop a "feeling-well" mail system
with all that you talked about in one harmonic package. But I really
doubt you will find companions if it is not clear what will be done with
the own code/work and what can be done with it. If you intend not to
sell the product itself why not put it under GPL or BSD license from
beginning on?

Alexander

P.S. Sorry for my comments as far as they are off-topic here on the
list.

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 10:36:01 up 3 days, 9:36, load average: 0.00, 0.08, 0.07
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]