[Mimedefang] OT: Advanced Email System

dimon at intellinetinc.com dimon at intellinetinc.com
Mon Feb 2 23:32:15 EST 2004

Quoting "David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com>:

> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 dimon at intellinetinc.com wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I can do that, but I don't think DFS wil be happy with this.
>
> MIMEDefang was released under the GPL; I accepted the risk that someone
> would create an open-source CanIt workalike.

That project IS NOT CanIt workalike!!! Mail filtering is a small (but
important) part of the project.

> > If I would make this system open source project, when enyone can
> > access it, I'm afraid that doing so might kill MIMEDefang, because
> > as David said: "CanIT sell fund MIMEDefang".
>
> It depends how good your project is.  There's a certain audience that
> would buy CanIt anyway, even if there is a similar open-source project.
> And CanIt does have about an 18-month head start on your project, so I
> expect it will be a better filtering product for quite a while.
As I told I'm not going to sell it as a product! I started research and
development more that a year ago too. But my goal was (and is right now) to
create Universal Email System based on open source software with easy to use
management interface, webmail access for users, and now, mail filtering,
because it is important these days (SPAM, viruses, etc.)

> > It's a picky situation here. I would do it as Open Source Project,
> > but let's ask DFS if he wants that.
>
> It's up to you.  As long as you abide by the terms of the GPL, I can't
> really stop you from doing it as open-source or closed-source.  I just
> think you'll find it difficult to do it as closed-source and still abide
> by all the software licenses.
Again, when I was saying I don't want to make it open source, I meant I don't
want interfear with CanIT. But I think that confused a lot of people here.
My goal is not to find suitable license for that system, but find people who're
interested.

I don't want to argue about licenses any more. I don't care about them.

I ask only those who's interested in the system I described to answer me,
please.

Best regards,
Dmitry