[Mimedefang] OT: Advanced Email System

dimon at intellinetinc.com dimon at intellinetinc.com
Mon Feb 2 22:57:59 EST 2004

Quoting Jonas Eckerman <jonas_lists at frukt.org>:

> >  This is not a distribution, but a regular installation and support
> >  of the system, based on open source software.
>
> So you will not actually develop the system (wich is what you said), but will
> just install a system that does not consist of anything you have developed?
> You'll just be a regular open sourced based consultant?
>
> (BTW. If you doesnload a piece of software, bring it with you to someone else
> and install it, you *are* distributing it. If someone hand you a computer,
> you install software on it, and then give it back, you are distributing
> software.)

> Not unless you develop code based on the products you use. If you do develop
> code based on those systems, and you install it on other peoples machiens,
> you are distributing both original code and code you developed.

OK, by distribution I meant "selling software". Sorry, I understood it wrong.
Yes, there is a code I developed: web interface, perl scripts (not mimedefang
related), patches for pam_pgsql, Cyrus SASL, IMP, and of course custom
mimedefang filter.

> It's not going to be open source, it will not be distributed and it will not
> be proprietary. I can only interpret this as meaning that you will not
> develop any code. Is that correct?
As I already said it's very tricky situation. Because this might hurt CanIT and
MIMEDefang, I don't want it to be open source (for anyone). But at the same
time I clearly understand that under GPL license I have to open the code (only
that code that derives from existing software: mimedefang, pam_pgsql...) But
not my perl scripts and web interface. But I don't care about those ones too,
and can make them open source.
What I offered is the open source system only for those people who will take
part in further development.
I think, this way I'm opening the code and not (or almost not) interfearing
with CanIT.
I think those of us who use agministrate Email Systems, use MIMEDefang and
create our own filters and management interface can cooperate and do that more
efficiently.
And look, I'm not trying to sell you anything, I just want to improve the
existing software by putting it together and making it work good together. And
of course web interface for ease of administration and support.
And don't think that this system is all about mail filtering. This is just a
small part of the whole system (but important too).

I think you understood my idea wrong. I don't care about licenses. I don't want
to sell code I've developed. What I want is to find help in developing a good
software that will be useful for Mail System Administrators. The only reason I
don't want to make it opensource for anyone is CanIT and MIMEDefang!!!

I don't want to argue about licenses any more, because that's not my goal to
find "proper license" for what I'm doing. My goal is to find people who'll find
my project useful and will contribute to the development.

Hope this time you'll understand it right,
Dmitry