[Mimedefang] OT: Advanced Email System

dimon at intellinetinc.com dimon at intellinetinc.com
Mon Feb 2 17:08:40 EST 2004

Quoting "Kevin A. McGrail" <kmcgrail at pccc.com>:

> > Are you certain that this does not vialoate the licenses for any of the
> software you are using?
>
> I didn't want to get into this on the list because I thought it was an
> affront to CanIT, however, I concur that modifying these packages and
> keeping the changes proprietary and then installing them on clients machines
> would count as distribution and would definitely be a violation of the GPL
> and Perl Artistic licenses to the best of my knowledge.  I believe the term
> is very specific as in-house use.
>
> And I like making money as much as the next guy but competing head to head
> with a company like Roaring Penguin seems like biting the hand that feeds.

I think you misunderstood my idea about that system. The system is not going to
be distributed as a software!!! That system is just a combination of open
source software with web interface. And the code in not going to be
proprietary! First I thought to make this system an open source project, but I
perfectly understand that it would be a threat to CanIT and Mimedefang. So then
I decided to find a person(s) who is interested in the same thing: to ease
administration and support of Mail Systems based on open source software they
use at their companies, at home, etc.
Our comapny is not software selling company! We provide IT consulting to our
clients, and it's not forbidden to use open source software to provide service.
And I thing that open source software is meant to be an alternative to
commercial software. If it's better (and you don't have to pay for license) why
not use it?
I thought I can find somebody to cooperate with to improve what I've already
done.
The idea was to share the development with somebody who will find it useful and
contribute to the development.
I don't want to make this system an open source project (exactly because of the
reason Kevin mentioned), so that's why I'm writing to this mailing list to find
somebody I can cooperate with.

Now I hope I explained everything,
Dmitry