[Mimedefang] Not sure if correlation...

Shawn Button sbutton at dtjboulder.com
Mon Feb 2 16:17:23 EST 2004

This may be off topic, but it seems like a server side e-mail attachment
scanning issue...

SA: 2.63
MimeDefang: 2.39
Sendmail 8.12.10
Uvscan with 4321 definitions

I am not sure where to start with this, because it seems like a strange server/
pop issue, however we did not see the issue creep up until we upgraded to SA
2.63 (from 2.61 I believe). But that could just be coincidence.

We have a few Outlook clients across Outlook 2000 and 2003 that basically choke
and timeout when popping into the server. Basically a temp file is creating in
/tmp for the pop lock and it just hangs. Either the client receives a message
stating the password is incorrect (it's not, I can log in directly into the
server from the users account and access mail) or it keeps delivering over an
over again the same messages until it gets to the message it chokes on. I
believe that a file with standard attachments (xls, doc) is the culprit.
However, most e-mails and attachments work fine. If I delete the mail in the
user's queue then the queue becomes accessible again until a message that it
doesn't like comes in.

I have deleted the tmp lock files, killed off the ipop3d processes that appear
to hang, restarted sendmail and mimedefang, deleted and recreated the user
accounts, restarted the server...all to no avail.

I do have an e-mail that I created with a couple xls attachments and I can send
it to a users mailbox and it then becomes inaccessible...it seems as though some
scanning process is perhaps modifying the header in a way that makes outlook
choke. I had seen this often under Outlook 97 but never under 2000 or 2003.

Any Ideas? I have been researching this all morning...

Thank you kindly.