[Mimedefang] OT: Advanced Email System

dimon at intellinetinc.com dimon at intellinetinc.com
Mon Feb 2 15:36:05 EST 2004

Quoting Jonas Eckerman <jonas_lists at frukt.org>:

> On Mon,  2 Feb 2004 10:28:06 -0700, dimon at intellinetinc.com wrote:
>
> >  is to develop the system and sell the services to install and
> >  maintain the system, we are not going to sell the software and the
> >  project is not going to be an Open Source one.
>
> Are you certain that this does not vialoate the licenses for any of the
> software you are using?
>
> To me it seems like you will be *distributing* yor system. Most licenses have
> regulations for how you may distribute derived applications and sometimes
> even applications that are not derived from but are using (in a dependant
> way) the software the license is for. Those regulations typically doesn't
> only restrict only the *selling* but also the *distribution* of software.

This is not a distribution, but a regular installation and support of the
system, based on open source software. The same thing everyone does for their
homes/companies. The only difference here would be that we are doing that as
outsource IT consulting company service.

I don't see any legal issues here.

Best regards,
Dmitry