[Mimedefang] -x and -X options

Ian Mitchell trash at aftermagic.com
Thu Dec 23 13:47:40 EST 2004

Ok, having run many many different versions of Mimedefang in the past few
years, I noticed something interesting on the latest version (49) that I
though was a bit odd. The X-Scanned-by header reports the IP address of
the machine running Mimedefang. I know this isn't new, but it was from the
version I was running previously. Now, while I am more than happy to
extend browny points to the creator of MimeDefang by boasting that my mail
is protected by his great product. I'm not to warm and fuzzy about
broadcasting internal IP addresses for mail servers that exist within my
enclave. So a little research in the list archives came up with the -x
"something else" and the -X options. And with a little reading in the man
pages, light was shown from above...

So I try -x "something else" and I end up with X-Scanned-By: something
else on 10.0.0.1  ... Um, nope, not going to work. So I have to resort to
eliminating credit of this great peice of work by using the -X option.

Any thoughts on an option to define the address to mask internal
addresses, or atleast to block the "on 10.0.0.1" portion?

Another question, has any work been done to add per-user settings based on
the recipient to the Mimedefang/Spamassassin link or is a request for such
a feature stepping on Can-It too much? I imagine the overhead of
re-inventing procmail within Mimedefang would be kinda ugly, but having
per-user spam control is nice.